Wednesday, October 8, 2014
1. wear compression pants or some sort of tight fitting pant that wont hold water. Wear shorts over them if you feel the need but your shins and knees will greatly appreciate the coverage.
2. gloves are pointless... Jesse and i both bought some pretty expensive gloves that seemed ideal for protecting our hands but by the time we finished the first obstacle the gloves were so caked with mud that they made everything slick and hard to hold onto. We shoved them in my fanny pack and had to keep squeezing out all of the mud and water.
3. forget the fanny pack.... i was concerned that we would need fuel of some sort so i carried a small pack with electrolyte chews and a few protein bars. We ended up not even using them because every other water station provided gummies, protein bar, or bananas along with water.
4. about the water.... i read online that some events in the past ran out of water. i really dont see this being a problem anymore because they have changed the water containers to better serve the runners. There was plenty of water for us even being in a late wave on sunday.
5. Shoes are important. i was REALLY glad to have my new balance minimus shoes. They are porous and light weight and let the water out quickly but were still able to help me get up the many steep hills.
6. If someone is available bring a spectator. There are official photographers but that doesn't promise you will get a shot so have someone come along to take pictures. i wish we had more pictures of us.
7. Hydrate REALLY well before you start. By the time we got to the water station i was SO thirsty and out of breath. There are port a potties along the way so don't worry about needing a restroom. You will be glad you hydrated!
Well the course is 12 miles long so cardio is the most obvious training. Don't just run though. Practice walking, climbing, and running up hills. The steeper the better!
Almost every obstacle involves using your upper body to pull yourself up and to pull others up. Strength in the lats is key. Do pull ups. lots and lots of pull ups.Push ups too! Heck why not!
Run some more.... when you think you have the cardiovascular endurance to run 12 miles think again and keep training! Sure, you get to stop and rest for the obstacles but i promise by mile 6 or 7 you will be wishing you had done more cardio training!
Having some strength in the weight room surely wont hurt anything. Being able to carry 50lbs or so would be a good thing, but the cardio and strength in the lats are what really count.
PS find some monkey bars too!!!
Also, dont forget to stretch. The number one injury in events like this is torn muscles. OUCH! We saw a few people along the way with these sorts of injuries. Don't be that person. Stretch like crazy.
Thats all i can think of for now. Search some other blogs and see what others have to say. Also, check out the forums on Tough Mudder's website for lots of helpful info :)
Jesse and i are putting a team together for Dallas 2015 if you are interesting on coming along with us for this amazing ride let me know! i will be forming a facebook group soon!
Monday, October 6, 2014
Friday, April 11, 2014
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Saturday, April 5, 2014
SOoooo today i had to work. I was worried because most of my coworkers eat junk. Wouldn't ya know an hour after arriving my boss comes begging me to eat some of the donuts he brought. I resisted!! Though it was hard. I packed what i thought was plenty of food but i was damn hungry by time to go home
Friday, April 4, 2014
For breakfast i started by accidently cheating.. kind of on purpose. One aspect of whole30 is to change the way we view food. To see it more as fuel than eating for pleasure. This is especially hard for me because i love food. I made banana pancakes using only banana, eggs,and cinnamon. All of the ingredients are whole 30 compliant BUT you're not supposed to make faux unhealthy foods. I didnt know this until i had already planned to make them so i went ahead and made them anyway
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Yesterday began my first whole30. It is a program designed to get our bodies healthy, eliminate toxins, and detox from sugar. During the course of the whole30 you eat no grains, sugar, alcohol, or legumes. By sugar i mean no sugar, honey, syrup, stevia, xylitol, etc. NO sweeteners of any kind except for limited amounts of pure unsweetened fruit juice. For more info on whole30 visit www.whole30.com
Day one breakfast: eggs and paleo cereal with unsweetened almond milk
Monday, March 31, 2014
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
|this is an image from google but i LOVE this stroller|
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Monday, January 13, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Monday, January 6, 2014
Taco Casa $15
5lb zucchini $8.94
2.25lbs hamburger meat $7.98
1lb pork sausage $2.98
big bag o string cheese $5.98
Shredded parm $2.98
Shredded mozz $2.98square
Sharp cheddar slices $2.38
oikos vanilla greek yogurt(2 packs) $7.66
spaghetti sauce (2 cans) $2.00
Toilet paper $6.97
So, if you can add you'll see that i blew my $100 budget by $8.72. I was a little disappointed to see this BUT i am giving myself a little credit because this was my first week, i didnt meal plan, i didnt shop by the sales ad's, and i bought some of the things my kids actually like to eat rather than skimping for the sake of saving money.
Jesse and i have decided that once a week we will eat out. Whether it be fast food or sit down food. We have limited time as a family and when we do get that time i would like to be able to enjoy it with them and have an easy meal together too. I'm adding it into the budget but i'm not gonna let myself feel bad if we blow the budget only because of our "treat" meal.
Abigale takes her lunches to school everyday, and Jesse takes all 3 of his meals to work each day.
I bought almost no processed packaged garbage and almost no bread(besides the one loaf obviously). I am doing no grains, but Abigale likes her little sammies for school and owen enjoys his too so im ok with that :)
i didnt get a ton of pictures ( just didnt think about it) but i can say that i have a stocked fridge!!!!!
Thursday, January 2, 2014
BUYING A HOUSE COSTS A LOT OF MONEY!!!
In efforts to save money for the fees, inspections, down payment, earnest money etc. that comes along with buying a house i have set up some SERIOUS spending limitations for our family. From now until we have enough saved we will try our darndest to only spend $100 a week on everything except bills. IF i can make this happen we will be able to save a significant amount of money in a short period of time. This would help us SO much!
Unfortunately we have some medical necessities that need to be taken care of also. My glasses are being held together with hot glue. EEK, for someone who is virtually blind without glasses this is a huge deal. With me having nystagmus and needing to see a specialist its an even bigger deal because my glasses and appointment typically cost me around $300. Then there is Jesse's wrist. His cyst has moved!! its now in a more painful spot so we really need to have it taken care of. Who knows how much that'll cost us.
And then there's my birthday girl. Abigale will be turning 8 in February so we will also be needing to spend money for a very special party for a very special girl!
SO here is the plan! The money we save this month will be to take care of our medical needs and abigale's party. February will begin the actual house savings and i am SOOOOO excited about it. I plan to blog about what we spend, and how i manage meals and such with only spending $100 a week. I started this today by withdrawing the $100 from my bank account. So far today i have already spent $20
1 gallon of milk
1lb pork sausage
2 dozen eggs
2lbs fresh frozen green beans
2lbs frozen stir fry veggies
Tomorrow i will spend an additional $20 on gas for the week leaving us with $60 to last us until next thursday. We are starting this venture having already purchased quite a bit of meat... We took a trip to costco and bought 6lbs of chicken and i've also got a huge roast and a few pounds of hamburger meat. Starting this off with the fridge mostly stocked will help us out a ton i think!! So, what do you think of this idea? Can we do it? is it even possible?? What are your money saving plans this new year?
|wouldnt you like to have his kind of money minus all of the killings and meth and other general grossness?? Which reminds me!!! Netflix needs to add the last season nowwwww!!!!!|